Buying a Property
Although you may enjoy perusing various web-sites it is not necessary to register with each one, thereby having many companies providing you with the same information. We have an excellent co-broking network on the island and in particular within BEAVA. It can be very time effective and less frustrating for all concerned for you to deal with only one Real Estate Company, that will be able to net-work with all of the other Companies to offer you a wide portfolio. However, this is totally at your discretion.
Purchasers should be aware of the following:
1. There are no restrictions on the purchase of property in Barbados by persons who are non-citizens or permanent residents.
2. Non-residents must ensure that all funds for the purchase of real estate are derived from external sources.
3. All financial arrangements such as mortgage, purchase price and deposit should be in place prior to entering a binding agreement.
4. Purchasers must obtain the services of a registered local attorney who will have to search the register and establish title to the property prior to the completion of sale.
5. Property passes by conveyance of title, evidence by the recording of the deeds and certified survey plans at the registry of title.
6. Attorney's fees are approximately 1.5% - 2% of the sale price. Attorney fees are subject to 17.5% VAT. Both buyer and seller are responsible for their own attorney fees.
7. A 10% deposit is required for payment when signing the purchase agreement. This is a binding contract. The seller's attorney holds the deposit.
8. The balance of the sale price must be paid to the seller's attorney on completion the purchase.
The expenses incurred by a Purchaser (there is no distinction between National or Non-National purchasers due to recent amendments to the Barbados legislation) will be as follows:
Property Transfer Tax - Nil
Proportionate part of land tax - This amount will vary depending on the value of the property and the time of the transaction.
Out-of-Pocket Expenses - BDS$300 (Approximately)
It is necessary for a Non-National purchaser to remit the purchase price to Barbados in foreign currency, after which it will be converted into Barbados currency and registered with the Exchange Control Authority of Barbados to facilitate a subsequent repatriation.
Exchange Control Authority permission is also necessary for the purchase itself. This is usually readily obtainable once the purchase monies have been registered.
Legal Fees are legislated as follows:
1. Up to $25,000 - $1,000
2. On the next $75,000 - 2.5%
3. On the next $100,000 - 1.5%
4. On the next $300,000 - 1.25%
5. Thereafter - 1% VAT of 17.5% is payable on legal fees
Who We Are
If home is indeed where the heart is, then Global Estate Agency has been the brokerage pulse of the Barbados luxury real estate market since 2003.View more
Why Choose Us
Global Estate Agency's Junior Sparks is the 2018 Agent of the Year | First-ever recipient of The George Ramsay Memorial Award via the Barbados Estate Agents and Valuers Association.
Global Estate Agency's Junior Sparks makes international TV debut in the popular US reality television series, HGTV House Hunters International. Season 151, Episode 3 - Seaside Villa vs Crash Pad in Barbados.
Global Estate Agency has a stronghold on market tendencies, a well-established business model, and a long list of satisfied clients.
Strong marketing mediums to get your property in front of prospects that reside in Europe, USA, Canada, China and more.
Representing sellers, buyers, landlords and renters since 2003. Real estate brokerage is simply our passion!
Over 10,000 people connected to Global Estate Agency's social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more.
Our sister company BarbadosExpatHomes.com focus on only the best rental properties for expats moving to Barbados and already living on island.
New website division launched for sought after properties for sale and rent, marketed exclusively by Barbados real estate mogul Junior Sparks. When you list your property with us exclusively, you get additional international marketing, aerial photography and website client login for 24/7 updates.
Over 300 Barbados property listings in our database and also we have access to over 100 external real estate agents' listings.